Anastacia admits she "felt awful" over Melvin Odoom's exit on Strictly Come Dancing

Published Tuesday, Nov 1 2016, 16:54 GMT  |  By  |  Add comment
Anastacia has said she "felt awful" that Melvin Odoom left Strictly Come Dancing, after she was unable to perform in the dance off.

For the first time ever on the BBC dancing show, the dance off was axed as Anastacia was deemed unable to perform, after suffering an injury that tore scar tissue from her mastectomy surgery.

As a result, the decision was left to the public vote and Melvin became the first celebrity to be given the boot from this year's Strictly series.

Anastacia appears on ITV's Loose Women
1 November

© ITV





Anastacia continued on the show until week six where she and her dance partner Brendan Cole were eliminated. They had found themselves in the bottom two against Daisy Lowe and AljaĆŸ Skorjanec and were sent home, after the judges unanimously voted to save Daisy.

Now, Anastacia has spoken about her time on Strictly and addressed Melvin's controversial exit.

She appeared on ITV's Loose Women and told the panel she "felt awful" that the former Xtra Factor host had to leave without the chance of dancing again.

Anastacia said: "I felt awful. I didn't want anyone to think that I wouldn't have left personally, but they have rules and they had to go to the vote. I joined a show that has rules and you have to follow them."

Strictly Come Dancing: Melvin faces Anastacia in bottom two
2 October 2016

© BBC

Melvin was first to leave Strictly this series.



"Not doing the dance off was purely because they didn't know if I injured myself so much I would lose [my breast]," Anastacia added.

"It was a fear and I was terrified. At the time there wasn't a doctor's open on Sunday, so I was a mess until I could find out that the rip was not to scar tissue that [meant] I would lose the breast.

"Understandably so, I would have left [due to not being able to do the dance off], but they have rules... that was hard for me."

Anastacia, a breast cancer survivor, assured fans that she was ok and confirmed her return to rehearsals with Brendan two days after the dance off was axed.

She shared a statement to Twitter that read: "Anastacia visited the clinic of a specialist in breast reconstruction surgery. The doctor again confirmed that there was a tear in the scar tissue, which although painful is not permanent. She was given the all clear to dance this weekend with the caveat that the routine is carefully choreographed and she has been given the appropriate medication."

Anastacia and Brendan Cole, Strictly Come Dancing
29 October

© BBC/Supplied by WENN

Anastacia and Brendan were eliminated following Strictly's Halloween special.



While some claimed that Melvin leaving the show was "unfair", he made sure to show there were no hard feeling and sent his "best wishes" to Anastacia and Brendan following his exit.

His partner Janette Manrara added: "I want to send @AnastaciaMusic all the positive vibes for a speedy recovery. Nothing but love for you & @BrendanCole."

Meanwhile, Anastacia also spoke about her own Strictly exit while appearing on Loose Women and revealed it had been "bittersweet."

She said: "It's bittersweet, of course. You know it's going to end, but you don't want it to. You're trying to be ok with [going], but at the same time, you're like, 'Wah.'"

Anastacia also hit back at speculation there was tension between herself and Brendan and insisted: "I really had a lot of laughs with him. I think because we were both feisty we loved that about each other and we worked with that... he has a really good sense of humour."



Strictly Come Dancing continues Saturday 5 November on BBC One.
0 comments

Loading...