Sinitta admits she was "gutted" to lose out on X Factor guest role: "I was crying into my popcorn"

Published Wednesday, Oct 12 2016, 14:35 BST  |  By  |  Add comment
Sinitta has said she was left "gutted" when Simon Cowell chose not to invite her along to his Judges' House round on The X Factor this year.

You think of X Factor and you automatically think of Louis Walsh and Sinitta, right? She's made a huge impression over the years (thanks to that all leaf outfit of hers), but this time round, Simon decided to seek the help of Spice Girls Mel B and Emma Bunton instead.

Now, Sinitta has had her say on being snubbed by Simon and revealed: "I was sitting there crying into my popcorn."

Sinitta outside ITV Studios, London
22 September

© Rocky/

In an interview with Star magazine, Sinitta said: "I was really gutted."

She is usually the one offering her expertise and helping Simon to narrow down his final three singers in the competition, but this series Sinitta never made the cut. And she has claimed that she's secretly "pleased" she wasn't involved, as she doesn't think the judges chose the right acts.

Every year, Simon and co are always faced with some criticism when certain hopefuls don't make it to the lives. Fans were disappointed when Nicole chose not to include Christian Burrows or Niall Sexton in her final three, and a petition online was started by a relative of Samantha Atkinson (one of Sharon Osbourne' singers) for Honey G to be removed from the live shows, after Sharon granted her a place and not Samantha.

"I was quite pleased when the judges really messed it up and sent home the wrong people," she claimed. "I was texting Simon during the show, saying, 'See! I bet you wish I was there now!'"

Simon Cowell, Mel B and Emma Bunton, The X Factor
1 October

© ITV/Supplied by WENN

Simon's three girls currently in the live shows are Emily Middlemas (who is dating fellow X Factor contestant Ryan Lawrie), Gifty Louise and Samantha Lavery.

Samantha's Judges' Houses audition had been a memorable one, as Simon had actually asked the 17-year-old to take off her make-up and then come back to sing for him. He explained he wanted to see a stripped down version of Samantha to find out who she really is.

Samantha Lavery on The X Factor
1 October

© ITV/Supplied by WENN

Sam had agreed to do so, but Simon's ask did cause a bit of controversy on social media. Some claimed the music mogul had no right commenting on how much make-up a woman should wear, while others pointed out it could have dented Sam's confidence just before her audition.

Sam, meanwhile, has since said it was the "best decision ever." She tweeted: "Taking off my makeup was the best decision ever! I loooooove my new look guys! It's the real me! (sic)"

She, Gifty and Emily all performed live for the first time on Saturday night (8 October), with the trio all surviving the first public vote. It was Louis' group Bratavio that were sent home, after Simon, Sharon Osbourne and Nicole Scherzinger all opted to save Saara Alto.

Follow us on Twitter @RevealMag for all your celeb, fashion and beauty news!

Fancy winning some GREAT prizes? Check out Reveal Competitions here!