Mary Berry thinks Great British Bake Off will be "very successful" with Paul Hollywood on Channel 4

Published Friday, Sep 30 2016, 08:04 BST  |  By  |  Add comment
Mary Berry may not be a part of The Great British Bake Off any more, but she is certain the show will still go on to be "very successful" when it moves to Channel 4.

It was confirmed at the start of September that BBC had lost its Great British Bake Off rights to Channel 4 after failing to match the financial wishes of its production company Love. Channel 4 has signed a three-year deal with the show, but its move from the BBC has seen Bake Off lose three of its star.

Hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins were first to quit, with Mary announcing her exit shortly after. Paul Hollywood, meanwhile, has chosen to stay with Bake Off and proving there is no bad blood there, Mary has said she thinks the baking competition will remain just as "marvellous" as it always has been.

Mary Berry attends National Reality TV Awards, London
29 September

© Mario Mitsis/

The 81-year-old made an appearance at the National Reality TV Awards in London (29 September), where she scooped up the award for Best Television Chef, and finally revealed what she makes of the changes to the Bake Off.

Speaking to The Sun, Mary admitted that she thinks the show is going to be "different" when it hits Channel 4, but it will be a success.

She said: "The Great British Bake Off is going to Channel 4 and I'm sure it'll be very successful with Paul. Wait and see... Mel and Sue are brilliant and we had a marvellous time on the programme and that's how it will remain."

Mary decided to leave Bake Off after hearing about its channel move out of loyalty to the BBC. She said in a statement: "My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one. I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change, I hope they understand my decision.

"I wish the programme, crew and future bakers every possible success and I am so very sad not to be a part of it. Farewell to soggy bottoms."

Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood on Great British Bake Off
28 September

© BBC/Supplied by WENN

Mary has been a judge on the show since it first aired back in 2010 and her exit comes after seven series. Hosts Mel and Sue have too decided to leave Bake Off, choosing, like Mary, to stick with the BBC. They said: "We were very shocked and saddened to learn yesterday evening that Bake Off will be moving from its home. We made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was... we're not going with the dough."

Paul, meanwhile, confirmed he will be staying with the Bake Off and has signed a three year deal with Channel 4 to continue as judge. In a statement, Paul said he "couldn't just turn his back" on Bake Off, before addressing Mary's exit on Twitter. He said he will miss her on the show, but believes Mary made "the right decision for her."

Reports have since speculated how much Paul will earn from staying with the show, with figures ranging from £1.2million to £7million.

Meanwhile, there have been talks that Mel and Sue could reunite with Mary for a rival show on the BBC - Mary, however, was keeping coy on such claims and said people will have to wait to hear about any plans.

Last year's Bake Off winner Nadiya Hussain was tipped to replace Mary as judge alongside Paul, but she has since said "no offer" has been made by Channel 4.

Follow us on Twitter @RevealMag for all your celeb, fashion and beauty news!

Fancy winning some GREAT prizes? Check out Reveal Competitions here!