The Jump will NOT be investigated by Ofcom after series of injuries

Published Tuesday, Mar 8 2016, 11:04 GMT  |  By  |  Add comment
The Jump faced a slew of criticism this series as SEVEN celebrities were forced to pull out due to injury, but Ofcom has now confirmed they won't be investigating Channel 4's winter sports reality show.

The Jump sees a host of celebrities undergo rigorous training and head to Austria to take on the slopes and a series of winter sports. Like any sport, there is always the risk of injury, but this time round on the show a large number of contestants had to exit the competition early after hurting themselves.

Fans began to question if The Jump is too dangerous to air, but Ofcom have now ruled out an investigation as they believe there are no grounds to proceed with one.

The Jump, full celeb line up, Sun 31 Jan

© Channel 4

According to Daily Star, Ofcom have said: "We received a number of complaints about the welfare of the participants in this programme themed around winter sports, but won't be taking them forward for investigation.

"We noted that all the participants in The Jump were consenting adults and were aware of the potential risk of injury when they decided to take part."

Confirmation Ofcom won't be investigating comes after viewers called for Channel 4 to axe the reality show, with many taking to Twitter to voice their views.

One viewer tweeted: "How many more people have to get injured before they realise #TheJump is a dangerous show and someone's gonna get severely injured???" Another said: "Just to "Jump" on the bandwagon, I agree the @Channel4 should axe #TheJump as it's clearly FAR too dangerous for amateurs."

However, not everyone was so convinced: "Love the faux outrage at #TheJump . They're grown adults, let them get on with ffs. Nobody forced them into this programme. #boreoff."

At the time, a spokesperson for Channel 4 told Reveal: "The Jump is now in its third series and, since launch, 46 celebrities have taken part successfully.

"Though it is a new course the events have been designed to be no more difficult than in previous years and all contributors have undertaken a rigorous training programme to prepare them for the show."

They added that producers had been reviewing safety procedures.

Brian McFadden, Sid Owen and Ben Cohen after competing in the Ski Cross in the semi final of 'The Jump.
28 February 2016.

© Channel 4 / Supplied by WENN

The backlash came after a record high number of celebrities were injured throughout the series.

Rebecca Adlington, Tina Hobley, Mark-Francis Vandelli, Linford Christie, Sarah Harding and Heather Mills were all forced to leave The Jump after suffering injuries, along with Beth Tweddle whose injury was deemed most severe.

Beth suffered a nasty fall that saw her airlifted to hospital. She then had to undergo surgery on her neck to fuse fractured vertebrae and was discharged from hospital last month.

Meanwhile, The Jump's third series wrapped up on Sunday night with latecomer Ben Cohen taking the winner's title.

For exclusive competitions and amazing prizes visit Reveal's Facebook page NOW!