Is Sam Smith planning to take a year off music after the Oscars?

Published Monday, Feb 22 2016, 20:00 GMT  |  By  |  Add comment
Is Sam Smith planning on taking a year off from music?

The chart-topping British singer-songwriter revealed to Deadline that it was his plan to take a break this year - that was until he found out he had been nominated for an Oscar.

Sam Smith attends The 58th GRAMMY Awards at Staples Center on February 15, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.

© John Shearer/WireImage

"Obviously, the Oscars have changed stuff a little bit, because I was meant to just have the entire year off," he said. "I've learned some stuff about myself in the past few months, and the truth is, I can't take time off."

However, Sam - who showed off his recent weight loss at the Grammy Awards - still isn't going to be releasing any music any time soon.

He said he currently doesn't have a plan to release anything, adding: "I don't think I want to release anything for a bit. I just want the music to be right, so at the moment I'm just trying to get back to a comfortable place."

However, what Sam does intend to do is spend more time with his family.

"I'm trying to live as well a little bit, and I think next month I'm going to force myself to just stay at home and see my mum and dad and my sisters because I feel like I've missed out on their lives a bit the last few years, so that's my plan."

Sam will be performing at this year's Oscars and he is also a nominee for best original song for the Spectre theme 'Writing's on the Wall'.

Try Reveal's digital edition on iPhone & iPad. Subscribe now & never miss an issue!