The X Factor will return despite speculation it faced being axed

Published Friday, Feb 5 2016, 16:31 GMT  |  By  |  Add comment
ITV has said The X Factor will continue "into 2017 and beyond", despite rumours the show could be rested following poor ratings.

Watching the journey of a karaoke warbler turning into an actual pop-star never gets old, so thankfully time isn't up for the talent show.

The judges give their feedback to Louisa Johnson after she had performed the winner's single on the results show for the final of 'The X Factor'.
13 December 2015.

© ITV / Supplied by WENN

An ITV spokesman said: "The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent contracts come up for renewal after the latest series air later this year, and we fully intend to continue with both shows into 2017 and beyond."

Talk of the show being axed first came about due to lower than usual viewing figures and it wasn't helped when the youngest ever winner, Louisa Johnson, only reached number nine in the charts at Christmas with her Bob Dylan cover of 'Forever Young' - the lowest entry for any winner over the show's history.

Last month, former X Factor long-time host Dermot O'Leary backed up opinion that the show needed an overhaul. He suggested that Simon Cowell should take the show off air for a year and also return it to its original format.

Speaking to the Radio Times he said: "If I was Simon I'd take it off air for a year. I'd rest it, and then I'd get back to the rooms.

"For me it was always room, arena, boot camp."

Well, Simon has already confirmed that he's keen for room auditions to make a comeback, and after hearing this news we can't wait to see what else is in store for the next series.

For exclusive competitions and amazing prizes visit Reveal's Facebook page NOW!