Cheryl Fernandez-Versini backs One Direction's plans to take a break

Published Thursday, Aug 27 2015, 09:33 BST  |  By  |  Add comment
Cheryl Fernandez-Versini has backed One Direction's decision to take a break from the band next year.

While plenty of 1D fans around the world are pretty gutted that their boys will be parting ways temporarily in the New Year, fellow musician Cheryl has said it's a good idea.

Chez told The Sun: "It's super important to take a break. They've grown from teenagers to young men. When you've been in a group that long and you're living in each other's pockets 24/7, it's important to find out who you are."

The X Factor press launch held at the Picturehouse
Cheryl Fernandez-Versini

© WENN / Lia Toby

One Direction's Drag Me Down video

© Vevo

Of course, Cheryl knows exactly what it's like to go from a talent show to a group to taking a break, as she did the same thing with Girls Aloud.

It's believed One Direction – Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne and Harry Styles – will part ways in March next year, after the release of their fifth album.

Reports say the band's last concert will be next month in Sheffield, then they'll release the new album, promote it, but rather than touring it, they will separate for a while to focus on individual projects.

So far, there's no word on what each of the boys will be doing, but as you'd expect, there are rumblings of solo careers, trying acting careers or even presenting.

The boys have, however, assured fans this is only a hiatus and they will be back together with new music in the future. Phew.

Niall tweeted: "Ok so Lots of rumours going round. We are not splitting up, but we will be taking a well earned break at some point next year. Don't worry though, we still have lots we want to achieve ! Can't wait for you to hear all the new music we have for you and to perform Some new songs as the tour continues! Love you all."