One Direction set to split in 2016 following release of fifth album

Published Monday, Aug 24 2015, 10:02 BST  |  By  |  Add comment
One Direction are reportedly set to split next year, following their fifth album.

According to reports, the world's biggest boyband will be taking a break from music to focus on their own individual projects.

One Direction new group shot for 'Drag Me Down'
31 July 2015


After five years together, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan will go their separate ways after performing their final gig together in October later this year. Having already started working on their fifth album as a four piece, the boys will continue to promote their next release in time for Christmas, before taking a break over the festive season.

Early next year, 1D are set to reunite to continue promoting their new album, but instead of touring with their new material, the boys will instead split to focus on their own solo ventures.

Liam had hinted recently the boyband needed to take some time out and a source has now told The Sun: "The guys have been together for five years, which is an incredible run for any boy band. They fully deserve to have at least a year to work on their own projects."

However they did claim the split would only be temporary and will not be the end of One Direction, hinting at a reunion some time in the future.

"There is absolutely no bad blood between them and they are all 100% behind the decision," they added. "It is definitely not a split and they fully intend to get back together at some time in the future."

One Direction at the BBC Music Awards: Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles. 11/12/14

© Rex Features / David Fisher

News of One Direction's intended break comes after the departure of Zayn Malik from the band earlier this year.

Back in March, five months ago, Zayn quit One Direction insisting he wanted to live life as a normal 22-year-old. At the time he told fans: "My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I'd like to apologise to the fans if I've let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart."

Zayn has since revealed he is planning to go solo and has already began working on his own music material.

Harry, Liam, Louis and Niall, meanwhile, have continued as a four piece and recently released their first single, 'Drag Me Down', without Zayn.

On its release, 'Drag Me Down' headed straight to the top of the music charts, bagging the boys their fourth number one single.

So far, neither of the boys have commented on their upcoming break.

One Direction first shot to fame on The X Factor in 2010. Despite initially auditioning as solists, the five guys were put together by Simon Cowell during boot camp and went on to finish third in the show's final.

Since then, 1D has gone on to become the competition's biggest success story, amassing three consecutive number one albums and a huge global fan base.

For exclusive competitions and amazing prizes visit Reveal's Facebook page NOW!