The Culture Club singer tweeted about the show in 2013, saying he was only watching it because he was "paying for it" through his licence fee.
Boy George, 54, said at the time: "The Voice, it's a TV show and these pointless vocal battles are proof that it's nothing to do with creativity or growing! It's drama!"
His tweet actually got a response from the official Voice UK Twitter account, which sarcastically said: "Thanks for watching."
The singer replied: "Well, I am paying for it!"
The Voice, it's a TV show and these pointless vocal battles are proof that it's nothing to do with creativity or growing! It's drama!— Boy George (@BoyGeorge) May 11, 2013
@BBCTheVoiceUK Well, I am paying for it!— Boy George (@BoyGeorge) May 11, 2013
Last week, it was confirmed that Boy George would be joining the show alongside new recruit Paloma Faith. They join will.i.am and Ricky Wilson who are already coaches on the show.
Following the announcement, Boy George said: "I'm thrilled and excited to be a judge on The Voice UK. I'm a huge fan of the show and have watched and engaged with it from series one. If I can help someone to win I will be delighted. I can't wait to sit in that chair!"
The news came as a surprise to most, as it was assumed that original coach Sir Tom Jones would be returning.
Tom, 75, later hit out over the way his axe was handled. In a Facebook message he said he had only been given one day's notice that he wouldn't be returning and had planned his schedule around the current fifth series.
"In good faith, as part of the team, I'd put the time in my schedule to be involved in Series 5, as I've done so for the last 4 years," explained Tom. "I've supported the show and the BBC since the beginning. I was told yesterday, with no consultation or conversation of any kind, that I would not be returning.
"This sub-standard behaviour from the executives is very disappointing."
Tom later added in a newspaper interview that it was "deeply insulting".
A spokesperson for The Voice later said: "The final decision on the coaches' line up for series 5 of The Voice was only taken on Wednesday and Tom's team was informed early yesterday morning. We then announced it to the press so that it didn't leak. This has been the same every year and no role was ever promised."
Try Reveal's digital edition on iPhone & iPad. Subscribe now & never miss an issue!