Gary Barlow on 1D as a four-piece: "We've all been there, haven't we?"

Published Thursday, Mar 26 2015, 14:40 GMT  |  By  |  Add comment
Gary Barlow has shown his support for One Direction following Zayn Malik's decision to quit the band after five years.

Take That star Gary took to Twitter as social media went into meltdown following Zayn's exit from the boyband.

Gary Barlow at the Brit Awards Universal Afterparty held at the Old Sorting Office - Arrivals.
London, United Kingdom

© Daniel Deme/

Gary Barlow shows support for 1D.

Zayn Malik at the BBC Music Awards 2014 held at Earls Court - Arrivals
London, United Kingdom

© Lia Toby/

Zayn quit 1D after five years.

Despite Zayn's departure, Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson will continue as a four-piece.

Former X Factor judge Gary, said: "Sending my best to all the 1D boys! #thatters we've all been there haven't we?!!!!!"

Gary then agreed with a fan, who said Take That are proof that "the show will still go on".

Gary is, of course, speaking from experience, as Robbie Williams quit Take That back in 1995.

Gary Barlow, Jason Orange, Mark Owen, Howard Donald and Robbie Williams of Take That performing during the final of Italian X Factor.
Milan, Italy - 23.11.10


Robbie with Take That on stage in 2010.

Take That was loved by fans all over the world, and Robbie's exit came as a huge shock, but the band - Gary, Mark Owen, Jason Orange and Howard Donald - continued as a four-piece before deciding to split a year later.

In 2005, Take That reunited and continued to achieve chart success. Robbie rejoined the group in 2010 but left again last year.

In September 2014, Jason decided to quit the band, and Gary, Mark and Howard now continue as a three-piece.

One Direction at the 40 Principales Awards 2014 Gala at Palacio de los Deportes - Photocall - 12/12/2014.

© Sean Thorton/

The boys will now continue as a four-piece without Zayn.

Zayn announced his decision to quit in a statement released yesterday evening, where he explained he wants to live life like a "normal 22-year-old".

One Direction supported his decision, saying: "We're really sad to see Zayn go, but we totally respect his decision and send him all our love for the future. The past five years have been beyond amazing, we've gone through so much together, so we will always be friends.

"The four of us will now continue," they added. "We're looking forward to recording the new album and seeing all the fans on the next stage of the world tour."

Zayn Malik leaves One Direction: can they succeed as a four-piece?
YES! Absolutely, they have a long career ahead...46.18%
MAYBE! Let's not write them off yet.27.08%

How did everyone react to Zayn's departure?

For exclusive competitions and amazing prizes visit Reveal's Facebook page NOW!