James Arthur talks X Factor's Paul Akister: "The only way is up"

Published Tuesday, Nov 11 2014, 12:42 GMT  |  By  |  Add comment
Paul Akister was sensationally voted off The X Factor during Sunday night's results show, and now the show's 2012 winner James Arthur has had his say.

James went down to the studios in London over the weekend, and took his place in the audience as he watched the contestants perform.

Paul Akister is sent home after the judges vote on 'The X Factor - The Results', Shown on ITV1 HD - 9 November 2014.

© ITV / Supplied by WENN

Paul Akister was sent home on Sunday night.

The 26-year-old 'Recovery' singer tweeted: "Great to see all the family at #XFactorUK today. #LOVE."

Sunday's shock results saw Paul end up in the bottom two with Jay James. During the judges' nail-biting decision, Louis took the vote to deadlock, and finding out he had received the fewest votes, Paul was sent home.

Soon after, social media erupted with fans in disbelief that Paul was leaving the competition, and it was a pretty intense atmosphere in the studios with Paul left in floods of tears.

When James was asked by a fan if he gave Paul a "massive hug" following his emotional exit, James said: "I did! He is amazing and with a voice like that the only way is up :)."

Pretty much everyone has voiced their opinion, from Paul's mentor Mel B claiming to be "angry" at the decision, to the show's boss Simon Cowell feeling "very bad" for Paul's exit. And even X Factor's executive producer Mark Sidaway sparked a frenzy when he told fans that he's "gonna try and make something happen."

Since then, following a Reveal.co.uk poll, a whopping 80 per cent of readers feel that Paul should be brought back to the ITV singing competition.

The X Factor 2012 (UK series 9) winner James Arthur performs at 'Summer Saturday Live' at Newmarket Racecourse - 31/5/2014.

© WENN.com

James Arthur won the show in 2012.

James stormed to victory on the ninth series of The X Factor in 2012, achieving a Number One single, a debut album charting at number two and and his first UK and European tour.

However, despite his success he also faced backlash late last year following a number of high-profile spats on Twitter, and for making a homophobic slur in a rap song, which he later apologised for.

James and Simon reportedly fell out over James' behaviour, with Simon previously telling Reveal: "He's got to keep his mouth shut and he's got to stay off Twitter."

In June, James confirmed his departure from Simon's record label Syco, following months of speculation.

However, with James' appearance at the X Factor studios over the weekend, it seems there's no such animosity anymore. James reportedly reached out to Simon asking to come down to watch the show, and not only did Simon accept, but he also invited James to his dressing room.

The pair are now believed to be friends again, with a source telling the Mirror that it's all "water under the bridge".

Reveal is now on Google Plus! Join us here for the latest pictures, fashion and celebrity news!