Pregnant Kate Middleton pulls out of another engagement with sickness

Published Thursday, Oct 2 2014, 11:59 BST  |  By  |  Add comment
Pregnant Kate Middleton is still suffering from severe morning sickness and has pulled out of another official engagement.

Kate, who is expecting her second baby with husband Prince William, had been due to carry out a visit for the charity The Art Room in Oxford yesterday (1 October).

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge attend the ceramic poppy field of remembrance at Tower of London on August 5, 2014 in London, England.


The pregnant Duchess had been hoping to open the charity's ninth centre in Ladbrook Grove, London, but was forced to cancel. She did, however, send a letter of apology.

In the heartfelt note, Kate said: "I wanted to share my congratulations with you all for the launch of the new Clore Art Room. I was looking forward to joining you all for this particularly special day as part of the Clore Duffield Foundation's 50th anniversary year.

"I am truly sorry that I cannot be with you all today as you celebrate this milestone. As patron of The Art Room, I feel great pride to see the work that the charity is doing.

"Vulnerable children flourish in the safe havens that The Art Room provides; this highlights just how important it is to support children at a time when they most need help and support."

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge on a state visit to Malta for the Independence Day 50th anniversary celebrations, 21 September 2014

© WENN / Rene Rossignaud

William took Kate's place in Malta last month

Last month, it was confirmed that Kate and William - who are already parents to son George - are expecting their second child together.

However, the news was announced early as Kate has been suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum again. When she was pregnant with George, Kate was hospitalised for the condition, however this time she has been receiving treatment at Kensington Palace.

Following the baby news, Kate pulled out of the Invictus Games opening ceremony and a scheduled visit to Malta.

Prince William and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge visit Canberra, Australia - 25 Apr 2014
Catherine Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George at RAAF Base Fairbairn
25 Apr 2014

© Rex Features / Tim Rooke

The couple are already parents to Prince George

Officials have again confirmed that future decisions over royal visits will be made "on a case-by-case basis".

Speaking about Kate's absence at the Art Room function yesterday, a Palace spokesman said: "The Duchess of Cambridge continues to suffer from the effects of hyperemesis gravidarum and was unable to attend this event in person.

"The decision to undertake engagements is being kept under review on a case-by-case basis."

Kate Middleton's second pregnancy: Celebrities send their congratulations



Join In!

Login to share what you're reading and talking about with friends!

My Account


Logged in as {{first_name}} {{last_name}}

My Activity | Social: Off | Preferences | Log Out

My Account

Logged in as {{first_name}} {{last_name}}

Preferences | Log Out

Friends Activity

All your Ex On The Beach news!
Bear, Gaz, Jem, Lillie... you NEED to watch!
50% off 1-year tastecard membership
50% OFF or 2-FOR-1 across starters, mains & desserts in 7,500+ restaurants

Join In!