Glee star Cory was just 31 years old when he was found dead in a Vancouver, Canada hotel room from an accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol.
Cory's heartbroken mother Ann McGregor spoke to ABC News in America about her loss on the first anniversary of his death.
In a video interview aired on today's Good Morning America, Ann said: "The loss is horrendous. Until three days ago I couldn't look at a picture of Cory so there has been progress."
The devastated mother was unable to talk about how she found out about Cory's passing.
Ann - who called Cory her 'baby bear' - said that she still texts and emails with Cory's girlfriend Lea Michele, saying: "She's hurting too."
When asked what advice she'd give to other mums of Hollywood stars who are struggling, she said: "I don't think we have the power to change the choices they are making. I think the kind of connection Cory and I had, if we couldn't prevent that situation then I don't have the answer.
"I'd say to them live every moment and grab every second."
Ann also spoke about an overdose that happened when Cory was fifteen, saying in the aftermath: "All I did was stare into his eyes and hug him and look at him. I had this feeling I wanted to know him as I wouldn't have him my entire life."
She concluded the interview by saying of Cory and his talent: "I'm still in awe. I always will be."
Got an iPad or iPhone? Reveal Mag is specially designed to fit!