EastEnders' Samantha Womack taken to hospital after choking on pizza

Published Tuesday, Apr 8 2014, 14:15 BST  |  By  |  Add comment
EastEnders star Samantha Womack is today recovering after choking on a slice of pizza.

Actress Samantha, 41, was tucking into the cheesy treat when a piece suddenly became lodged in the throat, leaving her unable to breathe.

Samantha Womack: Red Carpet arrivals at the National Television Awards at the O2 Arena, London - 22 January 2014


The star, who plays Ronnie Mitchell in the BBC1 soap, was whisked to hospital where doctors removed the pizza and checked her airways were clear with a special camera.

Recalling the scary incident, which happened on Sunday (6 April), Samantha told fans that she was "deeply embarrassed" by what had happened.

She tweeted: "Ok ..... Here goes. I inhaled pizza - literally choked. Had camera down nose. Rescued by lovely doctor. Back to suck out lungs tomorrow!!!"

Samantha then added: "So to conclude. Deeply embarrassing choking on pizza incident. Officially greedy big mouth gannet. #mynosehurts."

Get well soon, Samantha.

Check out tonight's soap highlights here.