Teen sets fire to bedroom after drying hair extensions

Published Friday, Sep 26 2014, 16:39 BST  |  By  |  Add comment
Hair extension users will tell you just how tricky it is to maintain them, but one girl has been left devastated after drying her fake locks led to a fire.

Natasha Lee, 17, had blow-dried her extensions for five minutes before turning off the hairdryer and leaving it next to the tresses on her bed.

Hair extensions

© Getty Images / Steve Wisbauer

She popped downstairs but when she returned just minutes later, her room was full of smoke and flames!

Fire officers believe that the hairdryer was still hot and it ignited the extensions, which set fire to the teen's bed.

Quickly realising the extent of the blaze, Natasha dialed 999 and escaped the Lancashire home with her mum, Szblanta Froloza, 52, and their pet dog and two cats.

The fire crew managed to prevent the fire from spreading, but another bedroom and the landing have also suffered damage. Fortunately no one was harmed in the blaze.

The teenager had purchased her £30 brown extensions from eBay, where they were listed as being made from real hair. But Natasha now believes this was false, explaining to the Daily Mail: "I really think they should come with a warning on them. People just don't realise they can set on fire like that – I didn't."

She added: "We've lost so many of our belongings but we're so grateful we're all okay. I certainly won't be buying extensions again."

Natasha and her mum are now staying with friends until their home is repaired. The damage to the two-bedroomed home is covered by their insurance.

Reveal is now on Google Plus! Join us here for the latest pictures, fashion and celebrity news!