Mum uses £1 first aid course skills to save daughter's life

Published Monday, Apr 7 2014, 17:10 BST  |  By  |  Add comment
Rachel Davidson saved her toddler from choking to death after she learnt vital skills days before they needed to be put into practice - on a £1 first aid course.

Rachel, of Skipton, North Yorkshire took the two-hour first aid course tailored for parents and carers at her local children's centre only five days before the incident.

Rachel Davidson, saved daughters life after going on £1 first aid course

© Rex Features / Image Broker

Rachel saved daughter's life with her new skills

But we bet she had no idea she would need the lessons she learnt so soon when three-year-old Holly started to choke on a Yorkshire pudding whilst eating with her grandparents just five days later.

Putting her panic to one side, the 33-year-old mum-of-two rushed to her daughter's rescue when she heard her coughing and turned to see Holly's eyes rolling back as she clutched her throat and gasped for breath.

Rachel said to the Metro: "I was absolutely terrified – my daughter was choking – but I just dropped everything, rushed over to her and started doing the techniques we learnt on the course."

It was more than value for money as, after giving Holly firm slaps between her shoulder blades, the Yorkshire pudding was dislodged, allowing her to breathe.

Rachel said: "Everything was so fresh in my mind I knew instinctively what to do. I dread to think what could have happened had I not been on the course."

By Sophie Ghatreh

Got an iPad or iPhone? Reveal Mag is specially designed to fit!