Wayne Watson, 59, from Colorado in the US, developed the breathing condition from scoffing THREE bags of his favourite microwavable snack a day.
It was only after 10 years of eating popcorn daily that he started to develop a cough and breathing problems. When he visited his GP, she suspected the culprit was none other than the buttery treat.
Wayne's defence lawyers claimed that the chemical diacetyl, used as a flavouring in the popcorn's artificial butter smell, caused him to develop the disease which scars the lungs and makes breathing difficult.
The condition is irreversible.
A US jury found that manufacturers and the supermarket that sold the popcorn were negligent and ordered them to pay out the huge compensation sum.
What do you think about this payout? Let us know below.
Read more Yours Truly: Real Life stories:
> Pick up a divorce with your weekly shop: supermarket selling divorces
> Saved by shaving: woman discovers cancer after nicking mole
> Fancy a voice-over? New surgery boosts voice using fat filler