Shoplifter Marcus Banwell got more than a mouthful when he tried to make off with his extra spicy loot. The daft thief grabbed a handful of Scotch bonnet chillis from an Asian food shop and thought he'd got away with his crime - but the 39-year-old gave himself away when he decided to have a nibble of one of the super strong chillies – and was found crumpled on the floor, choking and in agony.
Banwell, of Bristol, stole the chillies, called Scotch bonnets because of their resemblance to a tam-o'-shanter, from Singh Stores.
But as he tried to dash off, he stupidly ate one and within seconds was spotted outside by the owner doubled over, coughing and being sick as the chillies - which have a rating of 100,000 to 350,000 on the Scoville scale used to measure the heat - took effect.
When the police arrived they found four more peppers in his pocket, a stolen milk shake, fruit juice, and a £200 clarinet in his waistband that had been taken from a music shop.
Banwell was jailed for 14 weeks after pleading guilty at Bristol Magistrate's Court to stealing from three shops in a three-month crime spree, receiving stolen goods and breaching his licence from a previous jail term.
He also pleaded guilty to possessing Class A drugs after police found crack cocaine and heroin on him.
Read more: Village decides local man is no vampire
Read more: Conjoined twins set for reality TV stardom