Mechanic Stephen Parsonage was getting ready for a night out when he suffered second degree burns after lighting a cigarette just moments after securing his 'do' with hairspray.
The flames soared to 2ft before the 26-year-old dad from Blackburn, Lancashire, managed to put them out moments before paramedics and firemen arrived at the house.
Stephen was left with burns to his face and hands - not to mention a dented pride.
He said: "I had just finished spraying my hair and as I lit the fag there was a 'whoosh'. The next thing I knew my head was on fire. The pain was intense.
"I had no idea that could happen. When I went to the hospital they laughed at me. I was really embarrassed."
Fire service manager Steve Johnson added: "He had a lucky escape."
It was perhaps not quite the hair raising night Stephen had in mind...
Have you ever had an accident like Stephen's? Tell us in our comments box below.
> Read more: "Plastic surgery gives me a buzz!"
> Read more: Man starts fire by microwaving pants