The undies went up in flames and the fire spread fast through the second floor flat on Market Street in Weymouth. Luckily for the kek-less man, neighbours were alerted by the sounds of his smoke alarm and called firefighters to the blaze.
The man was led to safety by residents from the block of flats around 10.45pm yesterday before fire crew managed to quash the fire.
A Dorset Fire and Rescue spokeswoman told PA: "The fire involved two pairs of underpants and two pairs of socks which the occupant had tried to dry by placing in the microwave.
"All items of clothing were destroyed in the fire and there was slight smoke damage to the remainder of the flat.
"The fire safety message here is to never put clothing of any kind in the microwave or an oven to attempt to dry them."
Experts on the complex subject of clothes drying say the most effective methods tend to be the old tried and tested washing line and, if you're into gadgets, then a new fandangled thing called a tumble dryer is said to speed up the process.
What is your worst DIY accident?
Read more: Yours truly: What's it like being married to a stripper?
Read more: Yours truly: 1 in 5 women don't practice safe sex abroad