- 4x cups granulated sugar
- 4x cups water
- 8x cups fresh cranberries
- Grated zest of 1x large orange (optional)
- 4x 490ml Regular Ball® Preserving Jars or 8x 240ml Quilted Crystal Ball® Preserving Jars with lids and bands
Method1. Prepare canner by bringing water to the boil in a large saucepan. Sterilise jars and lids by placing them in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside. (Or prep your jars by sterilising in a hot oven
2. Combine sugar and water in a separate saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil hard for 5 minutes. Add cranberries and return mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until all berries burst and liquid begins to sheet from a metal spoon, this takes approx. 15 minutes. Stir in orange zest, if using, during the last few minutes of cooking.
3. Ladle hot cranberry sauce into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot cranberry sauce. Wipe rim. Centre lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
4. Process jars by placing them back in boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when centre is pressed.
Don't miss Mary Berry's Easy Roast Turkey recipe or Mary's recipe for Apricot & Chesnut Stuffing - ideal with turkey!
For more festive recipes - check out our gallery
Try Reveal's digital edition on iPhone & iPad. Subscribe now & never miss an issue!
Copyright: Seasonal Berries