This impressive looking Vanilla, Raspberry & White Chocolate Layered Sponge Cake is easier to make than you'd think - but don't tell anyone.....
It comes from our friends at baking experts Nielsen-Massey and combines the sweetness of vanilla and white chocolate with deliciously fruity raspberry. The perfect treat for any celebration.
- 400g white chocolate, plus a little extra to decorate
- 300g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 300ml whole milk
- 2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste
- 300g Golden Caster Sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 450g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 150g good-quality raspberry jam
- 100g freeze dried or fresh raspberries, to decorate
- For the icing:
- 750g white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste
- 250ml single cream
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas 4 and grease and line two 20cm round cake tins with baking paper. Melt the chocolate, butter and milk together in a small pan on a medium heat. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool completely.
2. Add the sugar, vanilla and eggs and whisk until well combined. Then fold in the flour and baking powder. Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes, before turning out to cool completely.
3. For the icing, place the chocolate, cream and vanilla in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, (not allowing the bowl to come into contact with the water), stirring until melted and smooth.
4. Remove the bowl from the heat, set aside to cool, then cover with cling film before placing in the fridge to chill for 1 ½ hours or until it reaches a thick, spreadable consistency. (Occasionally stirring if possible)
5. Divide the icing into three portions (1 portion for the filling, and remaining 2 to ice the cake) and use immediately.
6.To assemble the cake, trim the top of the cooled cakes to level, then slice each in half horizontally. Place one half on a plate or stand, and spread with one third of the ganache filling, then top with 2 tablespoons of jam. Repeat this method with the remaining sponge halves.
7. Using a palette knife, spread the rest of the icing over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate the cake with raspberries and shavings of white chocolate as you wish.
Prep Time35 minutes (plus cooling time)
Cook Time1 hour 10 minutes
Nutrition InformationServes 15
For exclusive competitions and amazing prizes visit Reveal's Facebook page NOW!
Check out more amazing cakes to make in our gallery below