Decorated with bite-sized chocolate treats and slathered in a yummy icing, this is a great cake to make when you want to wow people. And if you're not entertaining, it's National Chocolate Week 13 – 19 October, so just celebrate with this beauty.
- For the cake:
- 75g (3oz) cocoa
- 9 tablespoons boiling water
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 110g (4oz) Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 315g (11oz) golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 75ml (3 floz) milk
- 250g (9oz) plain flour, sifted
- 1½ rounded teaspoon baking powder
- For the filling, icing & decorations:
- 150g (5oz) dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
- 150ml (5floz) double cream
- 1 tablespoons golden syrup
- 8 chocolates
- You will also need 2 x 20cm (8”) deep sandwich tins, greased and the bases lined with parchment paper.
Method1 Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°Fan/Gas 4.
2 In a large bowl mix the cocoa and water together with a wooden spoon until smooth, then add the butter, golden syrup, caster sugar, eggs and milk. Mix again, then sift over the flour and baking powder to make a thick batter.
3 Spoon the mixture into the cake tins and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes or until risen - a fine skewer should come out clean when inserted in the centre of the cakes.
4Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and discard the parchment.
5 For the filling and icing, combine the chocolate, cream and golden syrup in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water until melted, for about 5 minutes. Stir constantly, then remove from the heat and leave to cool and thicken to a spreading consistency.
6 Sandwich the cakes together with about half of the chocolate cream, arrange on a plate, then use a palette knife to spread the rest decoratively over the top. Decorate with the chocolates and serve.
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Nutrition InformationServes 8 - 10
Check out these other gorgeous chocolate recipes:
Reveal is now on Google Plus! Join us here for the latest pictures, fashion and celebrity news!