Pesto is added to the mince, creating a nice basil flavour, and they're served with a fiery red pepper relish. Whip up for a BBQ and impress your guests.
- For the burgers:
- 450g (1lb) minced turkey
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) ready grated raw carrot (approx. 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated)
- 4 spring onions, chopped or snipped
- 45ml (3 tablespoons) green or red ready-made pesto
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 pumps Fussels’ rapeseed oil approx.
- 4 ciabatta rolls warm and split
- Handful rocket leaves
- For the relish:
- 8 pumps Fussels’ Rapeseed oil
- 300g (10 1/2oz) frozen sliced mixed peppers
- 1 red chilli, chopped or a pinch of dried chilli
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- Juice 1/2 lemon
Method1 Start with the pepper relish. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the frozen peppers, chilli, bay leaf, garlic, sugar and lemon juice.
2 Place a piece of wet, crushed greaseproof paper over the peppers and cover with a lid. Gently cook for 35-40 minutes or until the peppers are meltingly soft.
3 Remove the paper from the pan and increase the heat to reduce the liquid for approx. 3-4 minutes. Season. (The relish will keep in the fridge for several days).
4 Next, in large bowl, mix the turkey with the carrot, spring onions and pesto. Add the egg and season with freshly ground black pepper, stir well to combine really well.
5 Divide the turkey mixture into 4 and shape into large burgers. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
6 Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, cook burgers for approx. 7-8 minutes each side on a medium heat or until golden and cooked through.
7 Serve in ciabatta rolls with crisp rocket leaves and a good dollop of the pepper relish.
Prep TimeBurgers: 40 minutes, Relish: 5-10 minutes
Cook TimeBurgers: 20 minutes, Relish: 40 minutes
Nutrition InformationServes 4
Check out these other tasty BBQ recipes:
Copyright: Jack Daniels
Recipe courtesy of Fussels and the Lesley Waters Cookery School