This Roasted Squash and Apple soup is an unusual combo of sweet and savoury. Plenty of fresh vegetables, along with garlic and thyme means it's simply bursting with flavour!
- 11⁄2 pounds butternut or kabocha squash, peeled, seeded & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon + 11⁄2 teaspoons of Truvía natural sweetener, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tart apples such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small apple for optional garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 75g of toasted pumpkin seeds
Method1 Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the cubed squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 ¾ teaspoons of natural sweetener and spread out in a single layer on a sheet pan.
2 Roast for 20-30 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown, gently stirring halfway through roasting. Set aside.
3 In a medium pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4-6 minutes or until softened. Add the apples and thyme and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
4 Add the broth and one cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until the apples are tender. Stir in the roasted squash to combine.
5 Puree the soup in batches in a food processor or blender until very smooth. If the soup is too thick, add additional water until desired consistency is reached. Return to pan and season with 2 ¾ teaspoons of natural sweetener and salt.
6 Divide between bowls and garnish with a thinly sliced apple, pepper and pumpkin seeds.
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Nutrition InformationServes 2
More tasty soups to make:
Gennaro Contaldo's MInestrone
Spicy Butternut Squash soup
Chunky Bean Soup
Creamy Celery Soup with Stilton Cheese