This recipe uses sweetcorn, lemon zest and spring onions for a lovely flavour. Trust us, they're great for a quick supper or lunch treat.
- 3 Eggs For Soldiers eggs
- 2 x 160g cans tuna in brine or water, drained
- 500g ready-made mashed potato
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100g canned or frozen sweet corn, thawed if frozen
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed salad leaves and crusty bread, to serve
Method1 Hard boil two eggs in simmering water for 10-12 minutes. Drain them, then plunge into cold water to cool quickly. Shell and chop them.
2 Add the tuna, mashed potato, spring onions and sweetcorn to the chopped eggs. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, then form into 4 large or 8 small fish cakes.
3 Beat the remaining egg in a shallow bowl with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
4 Mix the breadcrumbs and lemon zest together on a large plate. Dip the fish cakes in the egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs.
5 Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the fish cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side.
6 Drain on kitchen paper, then serve with salad leaves and crusty bread.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
Nutrition InformationServes 4
Find out more about Eggs For Soldiers, including recipes and details of its charity HERE.
Like this? Don't miss these amazing recipes...
Plaice Fillets With Leek & Cheddar Topping
Homemade Fish & Chips
Deiicious Spanish-style Eggs
Gordon Ramsay's Cod & Tomato Chowder