Why not give it a try this weekend? It's perfect comfort good for when the weather is grey and cold. And it's bound to impress, too.
- 750g belly pork in 1 piece, rind removed
- 2 tablespoons of oil, any will do
- 1 small glass of strong pork or chicken stock
- 1 small glass of dry cider
- 2 large onions, VERY finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, again chopped
- A few sage leaves
- 4 large sticks celery, finely chopped
- 3 large Bramley apples (550g), peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 100g chorizo or any spicy sausage, chopped roughly, optional
Methodstrong>1 Set the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Season the belly pork well with salt and pepper.
2 Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the chopped chorizo if using and melt slightly.
3 Next add the belly pork and brown well on both sides. Remove carefully from the pan when done, but leave in the chorizo.
4 Add all the veg, Bramley apples, sage and top with the pork, then add the cider and stock.
5 Bring to a boil, and place a lid on the top.
6 Cook in the oven for 1 hour 30-45 minutes or until soft and well cooked, do not overcook!
7 Gently mash the gravy and juices from the pan and thicken slightly. Serve with the pork
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time2 hours
Nutrition InformationServes 4
For more recipes using bramley apples, head here.
Try these other yummy recipes:
Chicken & Vegetable Pot Pies
The Ultimate Roast Potatoes
Sticky Vietnamese Pork
Braised Shank Lamb