Spices such as paprika and cumin give depth to this low-fat soup and warm the cockles. Enjoy it served with a sprinkle of grated cheese that will melt seamlessly in your meal. Yummy!
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 (400g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 750ml (1 ½ pt) vegetable stock
- 1 (400g) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 courgette, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g/5oz Lighter Choice Mature cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons of chopped flat parsley
- Crusty bread to serve
Method1 Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, carrot and pepper and saute over a medium heat for 3 mins to soften. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 30 seconds.
2 Add the tomatoes, puree and stock, then season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins or until the carrots feel tender.
3 Stir in the beans and courgette, then simmer for a further 5 mins. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
4 Divide the soup between four bowls, heap cheese into the centre of each and scatter over the parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time18 minutes
Nutrition InformationServes 4
Per portion: 289kcal, 18.5g protein, 13.7g fat, 5.6g saturated fat, 7.7g fibre, 1.7g salt.
Check out more family friendly cheese recipes at pilgrimschoice.com
More delicious soup recipes at reveal.co.u
Fabulous Baker Brothers' Thai Tom Kha soup
Creamy Celery Soup with Stilton
Celery, Smoked Haddock & Sweetcorn Chowder
Gennaro Contaldo's Minestrone