Created by celebrity TV chef Aldo Zilli, it stuffs the aubergines with a delicious filling of ricotta cheese and basil. Finished with a juicy tomato sauce, this is one dish you'll want to serve up again and again.
- 2 aubergines
- 300g (10 oz) ricotta cheese
- 50g (2 oz) DIVO Parmigiano Reggiano Extra cheese, grated (or for vegetarians DIVO Vegetarian Grated Italian Hard Cheese
- 150g (5 oz) mozzarella cheese, finely diced
- 15g (1/2 oz) fresh basil, torn into extra pieces, plus extra to garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7 oz) cherry tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Method1 Preheat the oven to 180C/160F/gas mark 4.
2 Cut the aubergines lengthways into 5mm (1/4 inch) thick slices and grill in both sides until soft.
3 In a bowl, mix the ricotta witth half the grated Parmigiano Reggiano (or vegetarian variety) and the mozzarella. Add almost all the basil and seasonings.
4 Spread the ricotta mixture over each aubergine slice and roll up.
5 Arrange the aubergine rolls in a buttered roasting tin and sprinkle with the rest of the grated Parmigiano Reggiano or vegetarian cheese. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
6 Meanwhile, blend the cherry tomatoes with the olive oil and remaining basil leaves in a blender or food processor. Pour the sauce into a pan and heat through.
7 Serve the cannelloni, sprinkled with the extra basil, with the tomato sauce.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Nutrition InformationServes 4
Try these other tasty Italian recipes:
Lamb Linguine With Peas & Leeks
Simple Spaghetti With Tomato Sauce
Hearty Italian Vegetable Soup