Perfect for a summer picnic.
The yummy cheese and salmon filling is a great summer combo and will work perfectly with a fresh, colourful salad. Enjoy!
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 100g (4oz) white vegetable fat
- 25g (1oz) Cheshire cheese, finely grated
- 100g (4oz) smoked salmon, snipped into pieces
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 50g (2oz) Cheshire cheese, finely grated
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 150g (6oz) low fat crème fraiche
- Freshly ground black pepper
Method1.Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add the vegetable fat and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add the grated cheese. Stir in just enough chilled water to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Knead for a few moments, then wrap and chill for 10-20 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan oven 180°C / Gas Mark 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to line a 20cm (8in) quiche tin. Line with foil or baking paper and baking beans and bake ‘blind’ (without a filling) for 15 minutes.
3 .Take the flan from the oven and remove the foil or paper and baking beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C / fan oven 160°C / Gas Mark 4.
4 Put the salmon, spring onions, dill and Cheshire cheese into a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and crème fraiche. Season and stir well. Pour into the flan case, then bake for 30-35 minutes, until set. Serve warm or cold, with salad.
Prep Time30 minutes, plus chilling
Cook Time45 minutes
Nutrition InformationServes: 4 (makes 1 x 20cm round tart)
Calories per serving: 682
Cook's tip: Use Cheddar instead of Cheshire, if you prefer.
Further recipes can be found on at the British Cheese Board site.
Check out more summer recipes here