The 50-year-old actor will reprise his role in the autumn as one of Walford's most legendary characters, soap bosses have confirmed.
Michael's return will mark 20 years since he first appeared in the soap in 1994. Executive producer Lorraine Newman said: "It's an absolute honour to have Michael back in the show.
"Michael created an iconic character in David and with such rich history, with Ian, Bianca and of course, Carol, there's plenty to explore in the future."
Viewers last saw David in January 2012, when he returned to see his mother Pat Evans (Pam St Clement) in her final hours before dying of cancer. During his short stay, David reignited his romance with Carol Jackson (Lindsey Coulson) and ruffled feathers with her brother and arch enemy Derek Branning (Jamie Foreman).
On the night of his departure, David left without Carol leaving her heartbroken. But David tried to get in touch with his former flame by sending her letters, which Derek hid. It wasn't until after Derek died that Carol found out, but too much time had passed for her to do anything about it.
Since originally leaving EastEnders in 1996, Michael played consultant and heart surgeon Nick Jordan in both Holby City and Casualty.
Here are five reasons why we're looking forward to David's return:
1) We may finally see him reunite with his true love Carol: It's a love story waiting to happen!
2) Saying that, he's a notorious womaniser (see no. 3), so we wouldn't be surprised if he's embroiled in more love triangles!
3) He's ever so controversial and always gets himself out of trouble: Carol may be the love of his life but who could forget when he fell for Bianca Jackson (Patsy Palmer), although he soon found out that she was his daughter! He then moved on to have affairs with Sam Mitchell (Daniella Westbrook) and Cindy Beale (Michelle Collins), who was his half-brothers wife!
4) David will be back on Albert Square along with old favourites Peggy Mitchell and Ronnie Mitchell - who will both return later this year!
5) He's charming yet pretty cunning, and we're pretty sure his return to Albert Square will cause a stir among other Walford residents!
Are you looking forward to David returning to Albert Square? Tell us below, as the best comment from across the website each week wins £50!